So what is the APM Project Management Qualification (PMQ)
The APM PMQ is a knowledge-based qualification for project managers set by The Association for Project Management, the professional body for project managers in the UK. It established all the foundation of effective project management such as:
- Defining the project management roles.
- Understanding the context of the project including legal, political and economic constraints.
- Establishing a lifecycle including the necessary reviews.
- The importance of project management governance and also the role of a method.
- Core project control documents including the Business Case and the Project Management Plan.
- Core planning and control process such as cost control, scheduling, change control and reporting.
- Leadership and dealing with conflict.
- Working with customers and suppliers as part of the project supply chain.
The APM PMQ; now called The APM Project Management Qualification (APM PMQ) is recognised as a baseline of knowledge in many sectors including infrastructure project, IT, defence. However, it is only one step in the journey towards professional project management and it is likely that many people new to project management will start out with a Project Fundamentals course and qualification such as APM PFQ.
Format of the APM PMQ Exam
It’s awarded following a written exam of two formats. The most common form of the exam is a three-hour exam from which candidates must complete 10 short essay style questions from a paper of 16 questions. If you already hold PRINCE2 qualification then you can take a shorter 2-hour exam, with 6 questions from 10 on the paper. Typical questions include both the hard and soft topics of project management.
- List and describe five attributes of an effective project manager?
- Explain five stages in a risk management process
- List and describe five ways in which project managers can control project scope?
- Explain five ways in which a project manager can plan, forecast and control project costs?
- With reference to a known model, list and describe five the ways in which project managers deal with conflict.
- List and describe five contents of a procurement strategy?
These are all typical skills and knowledge areas that are essential for many project managers.
APM PMQ Training Options
Parallel Project training has been delivering APM PMQ training for many years. We offer a wide range of options to study for the APM PMQ qualification. These include open public courses and also in-house corporate courses. A typical selection of approaches include
- Self study distance learning with an exam prep and exam day at our office in Reading.
- 6-week virtual APM PMQ with 6 weekly webinars, weekly homework, a mock exam and exam prep/exam day at our office in Reading. With this option, we can also arrange an exam at most British Council offices around the world.
- 5 day APM PMQ classroom with the exam on Friday
In-house of on-site options
In addition to delivering the options above; for corporate groups, we can also offer
- A modular APM PMQ made up of three modules (two 2-day modules plus a 1-day exam prep/exam module).
- A fact track guided self-study course of three 1-day sessions including the exam.
For more information please do get in touch with http://www.parallelprojecttraining.com